Wood textures is an immortal classic. Such a design is relevant and always popular because such forms do not become obsolete. With the help of wood textures, you can always diversify the background of the label, title or site. Visually, it will look much more interesting than a regular background. And I’m sure, you know that many such materials can be found on the net. But about that later. At first, I will tell you how you can create a wood texture in Photoshop yourself.
To create a realistic wood texture in Photoshop we need to apply several non-standard approaches to the use of filters, as well as to work with layers and many other features of the program. You can use such a texture in a variety of cases, the main thing is to recreate the entire complexity of the wood pattern: fibers, rings, and veins. So, all we need is Photoshop and 10 minutes of time.
1. Open Photoshop and create a new file. Size can be arbitrary, for example, 1500 x 1500 px, with 72 px/inch resolution. It depends on how you are going to later apply this texture.
2. Fill the background with brown color (for example, #5a3222). Choose the shade you want to see later on the texture.
3. Create a new layer (Shift + Ctrl + N). Press the key D – this will return the standard colors (black and white) to the palette, and we will need this combination for the Clouds filter (Filter -> Render -> Clouds). Now you should have 2 layers, the bottom one is colored and brown, and the top one looks like this:
4. Apply the Polar Coordinates filter to the same layer (menu Filter -> Distort -> Polar Coordinates), setting the parameter to Polar to Rectangular.
5. The next step is to stretch the cloud texture vertically. Press Ctrl + T and scale to a height of 300-400% in the field Height above.
6. Add blur for even greater similarity with the smooth surface of the tree. Filter -> Blur -> Motion Blur (Blur in motion) with 90 degrees angle and 240 px distance.
7. It’s time to apply the Posterize filter. Image -> Adjustments -> Posterize. The number of levels 26.
8. Already looks like wood texture. Let’s continue. Go to Filter -> Stylize -> Find Edges. As a result, you will get a light texture of the wood pattern. We need to darken it. For this, we need levels (Ctrl + L). The settings are the following:
9. For being more realistic, it needs some noise. Filter -> Noise -> Add Noise.
10. The texture is too clear, you need to blur it again. Filter -> Blur -> Motion Blur. 90 degrees angle and 15 px distance.
11. Create a copy of the texture layer (Ctrl + J) and hide it. On the original layer, press Ctrl + I, the image will be inverted.
12. This layer needs additional volume. Let’s leave only the main lines. Ctrl + L to change levels.
13. Change the layer overlay mode to Screen, set the opacity to 8%.
14. Make visible the top layer with the texture and change its blend mode to Multiply.
15. Now just move the layer with the volume a couple of pixels to the right or to the left. That’s it, the wood texture is ready.
Well, now it’s time for ready-made wood textures. This is a chic element of style. Often, designers even start designing from mixing and combining textures in Photoshop. So that you also have something to mix or without any mixing (just as a background for your designs), I have prepared for you a selection of 10 great wood textures. In addition, if your graphics is used for collages, site layouts and at the same time doesn’t require large sizes, it is much easier to simply download the corresponding ready-made materials. Different textures are used for different purposes, choose the one you need, and download it from the source site.
This Wood texture set has 370 textures of high resolution. The textures, as you can see, are very different – from calm, almost monochromatic to very bold combinations. Natural, dark, rough, plank, light, brown, and pole wood textures. This set has everything you need and even more.
This beautiful pack includes 10 HD Wood Textures 3000 x 2500. You can use it for the frontage of construction and plan. Also, these textures surely will become useful for your 3D modeling works or other goals. Totally free, it’s been waiting for you already.
New amazing texture bundle is waiting for you here! Grab these 190+ natural wood texture and use as you wish. High resolution, different color and style for your design. You will never regret your choice! Follow the link above and get the set.
Here we have 10 seamless textures of various wood boards. This stunning set includes 1024×1024 px 96 dpi*.jpg textures packed as a RAR archive. These free great high-resolution textures can work in print as well as on the web, and, well just everywhere.
Here is a fresh high-quality wood texture pack for free! It includes 10 wood textures for personal and commercial use. Click the link above and unlock the awesomeness!
One more beautiful wood textures set! The Woody Collection consists of 100 high-resolution wooden texture photos in tiff format. Plain wood, curved wood, even wood with typography. What you get:
Wooden elements, lettering, signs on the sticks or ropes and chains. It should be great! This designer kit has hundreds of elements and a thousand variants for usage. It has 76 layer styles (72 and 300 dpi) and the following extras:
Here we have a set of gray natural textures in wooden style. Totally free, it has 9 high-resolution wood panel textures. All are 3264×2448 pixels large. You may use them in both commercial and personal projects.
These textures are available in JPG format with high resolution and dimensions of 5472 x 3072 pixels. If you like natural and vintage colors, this set is an ideal option for you. Don’t forget that you also can apply Photoshop to these textures and change them.
Looking for something fresh? Well, stop here! This awesome pack of 11 free wooden textures (2046×2446 px and 300 dpi) will help you to impress people. You can use it for different purposes. Click the link above and download without paying a cent.
In total, we got a pretty interesting and useful article with a rich selection of wood materials. More textures for Photoshop you can find on the MasterBundles website. There are still many interesting textures and patterns there.